Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ode To Watterson

If you were a child in the 90's, you understand the deep, deep love I have for Calvin and Hobbes (Or Calvin and Hobbies, as my niece says). It completely changed the way I understood humor, childhood and cartooning. I recently read a biography on Bill Watterson, the creator of Calvin and Hobbes. He is basically a hermit. He is in total hiding from his fans. They couldn't even interview him for the book because he doesn't grant interviews! He once said he didn't understand why readers wanted to meet him so badly, since he had nothing to do with the things he drew, other then the fact he was the one that drew them. Boggles the mind! 
In any case, today I was tossing around the idea of "time traveler" and what that meant to me. The coolest time travelers I could think of were Calvin and Hobbes. In one strip Calvin wants to go forward in time to see what he's like as a teenager. Hobbes replies "Let's not." Sometimes I wonder what he would be like, but mostly I'm glad he's forever a cynical child.

No comments:

Post a Comment